There are many reasons why small businesses seek out more effective solutions for employee time tracking. Clocking-in and absence management can present major challenges for many businesses, whether you’re looking to save on costs and time, or whether you’re looking to expand and take on more staff.
Some common reasons for needing a better time and attendance system include:
- Old methods become outdated – keeping paper records can be cumbersome and inaccuracies could creep in. Spreadsheets kept on local PCs can also be time-consuming to maintain and only accessible in the office. Manual reconciliation of timesheets presents a frequent headache for managers.
- Need to track staff on variable contracts – keeping track of employees on part-time or flexible working can be difficult when they are starting and finishing at different times.
- Avoiding ‘buddy-clocking’ – swipe cards or fobs can be open to staff clocking-in and out for each other, overestimating the time worked and costing businesses more money.
uAttend offers customers a choice of ways to meet their time and attendance needs, including, web, phone, smartphone and RFID clocking machines.
However, one cost-effective and efficient solution is the choice of many, biometric fingerprint clocking. While other clocking-in options have been around for a while, biometric terminals offer businesses the latest in biometric clocking technology.
How does biometric fingerprint clocking work?
Fingerprint clocking works by a terminal reading the employee’s unique fingerprint each time they clock-in or out. When the staff member is initially enrolled on the system, their fingerprint is firstly scanned-in which creates a unique code based on the print. Only the codes are stored on the system rather than the fingerprints, avoiding any personal privacy concerns. When the finger is pressed on the screen to clock in, the print is matched to the stored code.
The advantages of biometric fingerprint clocking are:
- Easy set up – once the terminal is installed, it’s easy to scan-in employees’ fingerprints as a one-off exercise. The fingerprint terminals can be hard-wired or wifi.
- Efficient operation – the system is easy to operate with no risk of forgetting passwords or losing swipe cards or fobs. This means that clocking in and out is faster.
- No time theft – using biometric clocking means that only the ‘correct’ person can clock in. No more clocking in for each other which means businesses are protected from time theft.
- Security benefits – use of biometric time clocks provides an additional check on identity where security and access issues are vital considerations e.g. healthcare providers, childcare-related businesses etc.
uAttend customer chooses biometric fingerprint clocking
When Brighton Implant Clinic was looking for a new clocking in system, they found that using uAttend’s biometric fingerprint system fitted the bill exactly. Around 75 salaried and hourly paid employees currently use uAttend to clock in across three sites.
This thoroughly modern dental clinic said it chose uAttend because:
“The system offered the flexibility and convenience we were looking for from a cloud-based service. It was also much cheaper than our existing solution. The fact that hardware support was also included in the cost was a bonus too.”
In fact Brighton Implant Clinic is able to exploit some smart features of the uAttend time and attendance system – for example, for staff who work across different locations, timesheets can be managed from one central point saving a lot of administrative time and effort. Managers can also easily see in real-time who has clocked in where at any time.
Find out more about the advantages of using uAttend biometric fingerprint clocking.