Given the UK’s ageing population the care home sector forms an invaluable part of the small business landscape. However, subject to the same economic pressures as other SMEs, the care home sector also needs to carefully manage its resources and workforce to run its business as efficiently as possible.
Growth in care homes means growth in workforce
There are around 5,500 different providers in the UK operating 11,300 care homes for the elderly. The government estimates that the UK care homes sector is worth around £15.9billion per annum serving the needs of around 410,000 residents. It recognises the huge importance of the care home sector to its own intention to ensure that all people who have care needs have them met. However, it also recognises that the industry needs to be sustainable and that care home providers need to operate efficiently so it can meet growing future needs.
The Office for National Statistics predicts a 36% growth in people aged 85+ between 2015 and 2025, from 1.5 million to 2 million. This will lead to a substantial increase in demand for care home services. As a result, the care home sector can expect to need to employ increasing numbers of staff to service the growing demand.
How uAttend’s time attendance system can help care homes
Aside from an expected increase in the size of the workforce, care home owners and managers have already been looking to replace some of their outdated practices in the management of their workforce. As part of the healthcare sector, it can be challenging to manage staff where there is a great deal of complexity – for example the typical care home business operates 24/7 and therefore needs to manage staff round the clock. There is also a wide variety of shift work all to be managed in a highly-regulated environment.
Care home businesses are looking to increase the efficiency of their workforce management –all too often it takes too much time and hands-on skill. One popular solution has been the switch to using an automated time and attendance system.
How can a time and attendance system help manage care home staff?
- Easier clocking in and out of staff – replace unreliable paper timesheets or local spreadsheets with automated timekeeping. Staff can choose from a variety of clocking-in options including smartphones (iPhone or android), RFID terminals or telephone clocking in.
- Simpler payroll processing – replace monthly reconciliation panics with timesheet data which can be automatically exported to payroll. This means your payroll will be easier and more accurate
- Keep track of absences and no-shows – managers can keep track of absences, holidays etc and be alerted when staff have not shown up for work. This can be vital in a care setting where regulations govern staffing ratios needed.
- Know who’s in work, or not – the real-time dashboard allows managers and supervisors to know exactly which staff are on the premises.
- Access data from anywhere, anytime – the cloud-based time and attendance system allows access to the system by authorised persons from any internet-enabled device. Managers don’t have to be tied to the office computer while appropriately-authorised staff can also access relevant clocking and other information.
- Generate reports – an invaluable function is the ability to easily create reports from the data stored in the cloud-based system. This can be useful to keep a check on budgets and spending.
Read about our customer story on the Stella Maris Care Home in Swansea. It provides personal care for up to 21 people aged 65+. It’s Administration Manager, Madeline, wanted to improve overall efficiency at the home. She chose uAttend to help manage its 40 employees.
Madeline said: “Without a doubt it has saved us money… Attend has reduced the time spent on payroll by over 50%.”